More Inspirational Moments

Carrying on with the topic of the month (as so it seems) I wanted to talk about another source of inspiration....the kindness of friends.
A group of very kind and generous souls gathered together to help me recently in a time of need. The altruism of my friends touched me deeply and I was inspired to create a gift of thanks for each of them. I wanted to share those gifts with you today and hope that they inspire you in kind.
The original idea for these canvases came from Rachel Grieg, check out her blog at Rachelgrieg.typepad.com



I started with 5x5 canvases. I covered them in a thick layer of modeling paste which was mixed with different paint colors for each canvas. I created a rough textured surface with a plastic spatula and drew different designs and marks in the modeling paste as well. The modeling paste was then allowed to dry completely. Some of the canvases I left brightly colored, others I sponged with Titan Buff paint to mute the color somewhat. For the next step, I dyed cheese cloth in a strong cup of tea (yes I made myself a cup as well) and applied a square of the dyed cheese cloth to each of the canvases with Modge Podge. The cheese cloth was scrunched because bunched up cheese cloth is more interesting than flat cheese cloth :) Next I cut squares of cream colored cardstock and stamped the squares with Tim Holtz French Script rubber stamp in black Stazon Ink. I distressed the edges of the cards and inked them with Ranger Distressed Ink to give the cards an aged appearance. This was followed with another square, this time of scrapbook paper (Secret Garden by Graphic 45) and again the edges were distressed. The cards were attached to each other with brads at each of the four corners and a piece of frayed burlap between them. Then they were adhered on top of the cheese cloth with Modge Podge.
For the finishing touches I added the words "Kindness Feeds the Soul" inside a frame of inked grunge board by Tim Holtz and a beautiful butterfly dimensional sticker by K&Company.
Here is a picture of some of the other canvases



Here is a picture of all 9 canvases


I wrapped the canvases in sewing pattern tissue paper that I hand stamped and finished them with shabby chic flowers made from cheese cloth and burlap and different bits of ribbon.


 

 

This last canvas I did at the request of my friend for her daughter. I had fun with it because I don't usually work with black and white so it was fun to experiment with something new. I hope her daughter likes it:)

 
 

 

A tutorial for the Shabby Chic flowers can be found on YouTube. There are plenty of tutorials to choose from, just Google it.
I can hardly wait to discover what will inspire me next.
Have a great weekend!
 

Comments