Live the Life You Love

 
As January moves into February I am reflecting back to when I took the first steps in redefining myself as an...(gulp) artist. My goals were to start a blog, get published, and find a new career that cultivates and nourishes my creative side.

Ok, the blog. Yes I have started a blog. It has been a difficult and pain staking journey, and I consider myself to be somewhat computer savvy. But wow! It takes a lot of time and dedication, I mean, I just recently discovered the blogging world as a reader (pathetic but true. Its definitely a learning curve. I must find an online course! Most days I prefer to be in the art room, painting and collaging and just making a general colourful mess. But I want to share too so on I will plod learning how to blog (LOL). 
I also plan to keep adding links to other blogs and websites that I find interesting, colorful, and inspiring. When I'm visiting other artist's blogs I love the adventure of clicking on link after link. I think they refer to this as "blog hopping". All I know for sure, is its like falling down the rabbit hole and discovering a whole new world or worlds.
I share this journey with you because I know there are others out there who are starting their first blog and are feeling the same way I do. Oh, and if anyone has any pointers or advice, I'd love to hear from you.

Getting published. Well I'm working on that. I'm thinking of submitting to Somerset Studios, With One Pallet. I think the problem I'm having is that to actually create a piece for submission feels very structured, kind of like doing a commissioned piece. Your creativity is being guided somewhat by someone else's vision. It's a little uncomfortable. I'll keep working at it, and will update you often. Again, any words of wisdom are most welcome.

Here's the hard one. Goal number 3...the CAREER. Its been quite a process, letting go of my professional identity. It was too entwined with who I was as a person. A real separation of self that left me feeling quite desolate at times, wondering "who am I?" My sense of self worth was all wrapped up with what I did from 9 to 5. I wonder if that's common with the helping professions? Any way, being somewhat forced into having to make a decision about the career was probably a blessing in disguise. I mean, don't get me wrong, walking away from a 14 year career has been one of the scariest things I have ever done. January has been a very difficult month so I am looking forward to February and getting on with my life. Again, I'll keep you up to date :)

Ok, enough heart to heart, here's my visual take on the last few weeks, I hope you enjoy it.

 


 
       
 

Comments